The Permit Lady - Residential/Commercial & Expired Building Permit Solutions

Do It Yourself Projects
Permit Service and Expediting
Residential and Expired Building Permits
powered by

My Blog

Violation Notices

We are seeing an increase in code violation cases being referred to The Permit Lady. While there are always individuals and companies that try the cheap way around by doing construction projects without the benefit of permits, the current increase is by flippers.

Flippers will take a house, do some work without permits and sell the property without disclosing that there has been un-permitted work on the house. We were contacted recently by a new homeowner who had just purchased such a house.  The down payment took most of their cash and then a code enforcement officer knocked on the door.

I have gotten to know several code enforcement officers over the years. They are decent people and are too busy to be looking for violations. Violations seem to fall into their laps. Busybody neighbors and evicted former tenants are the usually the ones who alert code enforcement officers to problems. I do know of cases in which an officer is investigating a possible violation at one property and stumble upon a neighbor's un-permitted work.

Correcting a code violation is expensive!  The typical process is:

• Hire an architect to draw plans of how the building is now, called As-Builts

• Get a building permit for the un-permitted work

• Hire a general contractor

• Schedule an inspection by the city or county

• Have the contractor expose the construction in question at the inspector's instruction

• Make any corrections

• Have a re-inspection

• Have the contractor cover/complete the exposed construction

It can very costly to go through this process. To top it off, there is no guarantee the city will approve the permit.  My advice: Get a permit or don't do the work!

13 Comments to Violation Notices:

Comments RSS
bulk sms india on Monday, September 15, 2014 12:41 AM
I feel more enlightened on this topic after reading your article. Your content is fascinating, persuasive and thought-provoking. I just wish I were good with words like you so I could express my appreciation better.

assignment help websites on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 11:02 PM
Violating rules is not the best thing to do, people. If you ask me, those who violate rules need to be punished more frequently. If we cannot even enforce the rules that we have made, then what are the reason of writing them. I hope that our management takes the time to actually prioritize these incidents. I do not want to work in a lawless company, that is just too chaotic for me. I hope that we make this a priority.

Read more on Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:14 AM
Its always a great experience for me to view your posts thanks for sharing such lovely posts.

best website to write essays on Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:12 AM
The concern authorities are supposed to be aware with such thing because they are never having the idea about the code violation they are breaking. This is supposed to be stopped by taking serious action.

loemrntdherid1 on Monday, September 24, 2018 11:38 PM
Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.

bestessay au on Saturday, March 2, 2019 4:00 AM
These cases are pretty common, right? I would like to read more now.

valueteam on Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:52 PM
Hi, Liana, I have pleased to read your points on the Violation Notice topic. Those processes are really helpful. Now, I am going to share this information on my social media pages to see my followers. Thanks and keep posting things like this.

instagram viewer on Monday, July 1, 2019 4:00 AM
I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.

Yeezy on Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:05 PM

Useless Websites on Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:04 AM
Violation Notices Useless Websites

23isback on Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:52 PM
23isback https://23is-back.com/ 23isback

small tattoos on Saturday, April 4, 2020 2:44 AM
small tattoos https://inksmalltattoos.com/ small tattoos

Yeezy on Monday, April 27, 2020 8:58 AM